Lisa’s fantastic swimsuit make
last year and my daughter’s constant requests for bikinis and simple one-pieces got me thinking that it was time to dive back in and try out some swimwear sewing. It’s been a really
long time since I’ve sewn swimwear (not since my fashion college days), and I did remember enjoying the process, but hadn’t tried it again since then.
Brimming with swimwear ideas
and inspired by some of the great patterns
that are currently out there, it was finally time to make up some of the lovely nylon lycras from our current and past swimwear collections
that I’ve had in my stash,
I found McCalls 8193 (printed 1996) in an op shop a while back. It’s a great classic one-piece style featuring a few neckline and strap variations. Back in the 90s, the spaghetti strap one-piece was one of my all time favourite styles so this was the perfect pattern to get me back into swimwear sewing.
I decided to make a toile to check the fit and practise my construction and seam finish. Since swimwear takes up very little fabric, I had enough fabric to make the toile as well. I made some fit adjustments on the body, crotch width and leg and am glad I did. The practise with the elastic distribution helped in my second make and the pattern definitely needed some adjustments to bring it into 2017.
I really enjoyed the process of sewing this. It made for a nice change from sewing my regular makes and, even though I still think the bust area sits too high on the body, I’m pretty pleased with the end result.