A Sundress In September – Vogue 2289
A sundress for Gabby and a sundress for September. I can’t take credit for this make as it was actually her Nonna Silva who made it for her. After trying to find it for a few years, I finally scored this long out-of-print Ralph Lauren pattern on eBay – Vogue 2289.
This one definitely needed a toile and doing so led to the following changes:
- eliminating the side pockets. Because the skirt is cut on the bias, the pockets distorted the side seam.
- There was gaping at the armhole so the bust dart was repositioned.
- Created a more cut-away style of armhole, using tear-away at the neckline and armholes.
- the neckline was raised.
- lined the inside bodice with our bemberg rayon lining.
- added a fused neck facing. The pattern suggests lining the bodice in heavier fabrics, but self lining in a silk or viscose works better for this blousy style.
- Extending the back zipper all the way to the top of the waistband.
- Adding vertical buttonholes to the waistband and buttons to the straps so that button is visible at back.
We’re often asked about how to get hold of vintage patterns and our best advice is to regularly stalk eBay and Etsy, as well as the numerous online vintage pattern sellers. You might not find exactly the one you’re after but you might find something similar or even some equally fabulous vintage pattern gem. But if you’re looking to create a similar style to this one, you could try the Luana Apron Dress pattern.