My Xmas frock (a.k.a the raglan rocks again)


best laid plan to be super-organised for staff Christmas party
frock-sewing was unsurprisingly thwarted by a combo of (in no particular
order) work, Pinterest, kids, another sewing project, catching up with
mates, Downton Abbey, fatigue and the sporadic necessity that is
domesticity. So cue a quick, simple and effective pattern and after the
success and ease that was this one, I couldn’t go past the raglan sleeve again.


As with the top,
I eliminated the centre front seam and just followed the line of the
pattern to create a shift dress. I decided to combine blue and black
because I am a longtime sucker for that colour combo. I rest my fashion
case here and here.

The sleeves are made up in a French lace – Ardoise/Noir – which features a fine black cording. The main part of the dress is When Night Rings,
a polyamide/polyester chosen for it’s body and hold. The fabric is
quite thick, so I decided to add some topstitching to minimise bulk
along the seam allowances.

a design feature, I created a slit facing at the neckline. I did find
that slicing into an almost-finished garment requires a
fairly enormous leap of faith, so I strongly recommend you do a trial on
a scrap piece of fabric beforehand because there is absolutely NO room
for error here. If you’re interested in a how-to, there’s a nice little
Burdastyle tutorial here.


Thanks to Vikki’s
clever suggestion, I used some block-fused lace for the neckline
facing. Across the shoulder where the sheer lace sits, I faced with a
flesh coloured nylon tulle.

Simple and relatively quick. Just the way I like my patterns these days….